• Nicole Jones

Audi Car Crash Project - Finals Week and Final Video

Updated: Apr 12, 2021


Finals week has come and I wish we could have more time but nonetheless we still have our videos to submit before we all leave for winter break. Since the last session I was able to fix the more urgent issues on my car shot. One of the first things I did was adjusting my camera position in Maya. I also, through Bridget's guidance, changed the scale of my car and that gave a better result as well.

Old Camera Position

New Camera Position

After I got the camera position adjusted, I also made a couple of adjusts to a few of my car shaders.

Adjusted Car Shaders

One of the last adjustments I made in Maya was adding a new render layer for an alternative method to my environment shadow pass. Instead of applying a black and white surface shader of the ground shadows onto the car, I used the paint effects bush to paint some trees along the side of the ground plane by my car. I then converted the paint effects into polygons and deleted all the pieces I didn't really need like the branches and tree trunks leaving only the leaves. After some position adjustments of the tree groups I was able to render out a new environment shadow pass.

Maya Environment Shadow Setup

With my new renders I changed gears and switched over to Photoshop to work on my shadow plate. I wasn't there when my group took pictures of the background plates because I was out of town for a family emergency but they explained to me that they couldn't get a shadow plate because it was too sunny and they didn't have time to take the shadow plate. With that being the case I had to make my own shadow plate. I took my clean background plate into Photoshop and tried my best to make a somewhat usable shadow plate. I used a combination of the clone stamp, spot healing brush, image adjustments (levels, brightness/contrast, shadow/highlights, exposure), and the paint brush to put together a shadow plate.

Clean Plate

Shadow Plate I made in Photoshop

With a shadow plate, I brought my new rendered layers and my plates into my Nuke file. From there I made more adjustments to my composite including adding a node called the Firefly Killer Gizmo to get ride of some unwanted fireflies.

Firefly Killer Gizmo Node

VectorBlur and Shuffle Copy Settings for Motion Blur

Composite Breakdown

Final Composite


26 views0 comments